Senior Lawyer – Full Time (ongoing) – Morwell
Djirra supports Aboriginal women’s journey to safety and wellbeing, and provides legal and practical supports to Aboriginal people experiencing family violence across Victoria. Djirra is an Aboriginal Community Controlled Organisation with a rich history, and we are growing our services across regional Victoria.
An opportunity has arisen in our newly established Morwell office for a Senior Lawyer to provide and oversee high quality legal advice and representation, and non-legal support. This role will create connections to establish our presence in the Latrobe Valley region and help us to shape how we deliver our services across the region, including regular outreach across the Latrobe Valley and East Gippsland regions, including fortnightly outreach services to Djirra’s Bairnsdale office when required.
The Senior Lawyer will deliver high quality legal advice and representation in family violence, family law, child protection and victims of crime matters. You will also work closely with a Paralegal Support Worker to support clients to access a variety of legal, social, psychological, cultural, health, financial and other support services to address their needs.
Our ideal candidate:
- Is dedicated to the prevention of family violence
- Ensures clients receive an excellent level of service
- Is an advocate for justice for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- Has at least 5 years of post-admission experience (related to family law/violence)
- Is passionate about working to build regional stakeholder relationships
- Contributes to service development and improvement
- Is able to mentor and guide staff.
Ability to effectively communicate and work with the local Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander communities and knowledge of social justice issues in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities is preferred.
Djirra is committed to Child Safety and as part of Djirra’s screening requirements all staff must have (or are able to obtain) a Working With Childrens Check and a National Police Check. An International Police Check may also be required. You must also demonstrate an understanding of Child Safety.
- Brand new office
- Permanent full time position
- Generous salary packaging options available
- Extra days off between Christmas and New Year
- Employee Assistance Program with supportive, confidential counselling for personal and work concerns
How to Apply
To find out more about the position or about Djirra and how to apply, refer to our Get Involved page on our website: https://djirra.org.au/
Only applications received via the website will be considered. Applications must include a CV and covering letter and all applicants must answer the questions at the bottom of the application form.
If you would like to know more about the role or about the work we do, please call Teresa Kyprianou, Human Resources Advisor on 9244 3333 or via email [email protected]
Applications for this position will close as soon as a suitable candidate is sourced, therefore we encourage your application as soon as possible.