Senior Lawyer/Lawyer (Full time, Permanent) – Northcote
Djirra supports Aboriginal women’s journey to safety and wellbeing, and provides legal and practical supports to Aboriginal people experiencing family violence across Victoria. Djirra is an Aboriginal Community Controlled Organisation with a rich history, and we are growing our services across regional Victoria.
A new opportunity has arisen in our Northcote office for a Senior Lawyer or Lawyer to provide and oversee high quality legal advice and representation, and non-legal support. Lawyers work closely with Paralegal Support Workers to address the multitude of interrelated legal and non-legal issues faced by our clients, assisting them to access a variety of legal, social, psychological, cultural, health, financial and other support services. This role will have a primary focus on Child Protection casework, including opportunities to participate in a Djirra initiated duty lawyer service for Aboriginal women experiencing family violence.
Djirra is committed to Child Safety and as part of Djirra’s screening requirements, all staff must have (or are able to obtain) a Working With Childrens Check and a National Police Check. You must also be able to demonstrate an understanding of Child Safety.
Applicants are required to have a degree in Law and hold a legal practicing certificate in Victoria.
Applicants who have the ability to effectively communicate and work with local Aboriginal communities and have knowledge of social justice issues within Aboriginal communities will be highly regarded. The demonstrated capacity to communicate emphatically and effectively with Aboriginal people and/or others who have experienced trauma is a necessity.
- Brand new office
- Conveniently located near public transport and nearby some great cafes and restaurants in Northcote
- Supportive and inclusive work environment
- Flexible work-life balance, including access to a monthly RDO (Rostered Day Off)
- Paid Parental Leave
- Extra annual leave given between Christmas and New Year
- Generous Salary Packaging options (Not For Profit Organisation)
- Employee Assistance Program with supportive, confidential counselling for personal and work concerns.
- Permanent full time position
- Applications for this position will close as soon as a suitable candidate is sourced, therefore we strongly encourage your application as soon as possible.
- We also strongly encourage Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to apply.
How to Apply
Please refer to our website: https://djirra.org.au/ for organisational information, position description and how to apply. Applicants are required to submit their cover letter, resume and provide responses to the questions found at the bottom of the application form.
Further enquires regarding this position can be directed to Teresa Kyprianou, HR Advisor at [email protected]
Applications for this position will close as soon as a suitable candidate is sourced, therefore we strongly encourage your application as soon as possible.
We also strongly encourage Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to apply.